Friday, May 07, 2010

Paris: Day 1

Column top

We arrived very, very early at CDG airport. We purchased our Navigo passes and our RER tickets into Paris. We had quite an adventure getting to our hotel! At the airport we were instructed that the closest stop to our hotel was the Gare Austerlitz. Upon arriving at the stop, we wandered around looking for a map with our street on it. A very kind Metro employee asked us where we were heading, so we showed her our hotel's address. She didn't recognize the street name, so she asked a fellow employee who didn't know it either. Yikes, we thought. This wonderful woman rushed into the office to call a friend and eventually, came out with the stop name. We weren't far! Whew. So we lugged our suitcases up and down several staircases (side note: OMG! There are a LOT of stairs in the Metro! No wonder the Parisians are so thin!).

We checked into the La Manufacture, where the very kind staff gave us a slew of great maps and some advice on what to see first. I love that! They gave us a very sweet and quiet room overlooking the courtyard (thank goodness! As there was some construction going on outside, which would have been insane).

After a nap and unpacking we headed out for our first adventure! First up? Lunch!

Big smile!

The hotel recommended a place called "Au Bon Coin" and it was great!

Crispy cheese starter
My starter plate was camembert cheese, wrapped and fried - on top of lettuce, and covered with berries. Heaven!

Onion Soup
The mister had onion soup. I'm not a HUGE onion fan but, that soup was tasty! I kept dipping my bread into his soup.

Anita's Parisian lunch
My plate: Those potatoes were so creamy and buttery! I shouldn't have eaten any of the salad and saved it ALL for the potatoes! The savory sauce was delish! After every bite, I kept saying I was full but, I kept eating it anyway!

First lunch!
The Mister's plate was going to be my first choice. I try to avoid us both ordering the same thing when we go out (because I am crazy). He got an amazing dish of pork with potato gratin and green beans! So good!

After stuffing our faces, we waddled out the door to attack Paris for the first time! Off to adventure!

No comments: