Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Taco Truck Crawl 2: Electric Boogaloo!

Taco Zamorano

In late February, we held our '2nd annual Taco Truck Crawl' - just the Mister, myself, and a handful of friends both old and new. It's nothing formal! We all got together last March for a fantastic Taco Truck Crawl, and so, we decided to repeat the culinary adventure a second time. Besides, who needs an excuse to nosh a tasty taco? Not me!

Chorizo Taco
Our first stop, Taco Zamorano, is a favorite. Their taco al pastor is a highlight of the crawl. This year, I decided to 'mix it up' and try something different at any repeat taco place. My first foray was a chorizo taco. Excellent! Smokey, spicy, silky - in a word: Delicious.

Carnitas
Next up, and also from Taco Zamorano, was a carnitas taco. How much do I love carnitas? When done right, they are heavenly! Crispy, rich, with an almost fruity quality. LOVE! Done wrong, they are chewy and fatty. Can you guess which one the Taco Zamorano taco fell under? If you guessed the first one, DING, DING, DING! I think this one was one of my favorites of the day! Moist and tender. I could have skipped a slot, and gone for seconds here. Instead, we moved on.

Tacos El Gordo

Tacos El Gordo was our second stop. Last year, I tried the carnitas here, I believe. This year, I opted for a Taco al Pastor.

Tacos El Gordo
The taco al pastor here was good but, not great. The sauce they slathered on was fan-frickin'-tastic! Bright and bold, the sauce had quite a kick. Once you squeezed a bit of lime onto it, it sang in your mouth, perfectly balanced with citrus. The REAL star of this spot was, however, a taco one of my pals ordered:

Tacos from stop #2
The rib taco! Everyone who ordered this one raved about it! So much so, that I had to steal a bite. The Mister swears that next time, we're skipping right to this taco!

For our next stop, our team accidentally splintered into two groups. Ours, the tamale away team, ventured into the tiny outdoor patio of Huarche Azteca - tempted by the fragrant aroma of cooked meat and corn.

Asada on Masa cake
My Asada Huarche - carne asada, cactus, cotija cheese, lettuce, and sour cream on a thin masa cake. Devoured quickly by the rest of the gang. There were also pork tamale's gathered by the 'tamale away team' but, those were consumed before I could get my trusty camera.

Our culinary adventure will continue in another post! These crawls are epic!

No comments: