Saturday, January 21, 2006

Got Milk? I don't know?!


So, I'm reading the LA times today (even tho I don't really LIVE in LA and we have perfectly good papers here) and I found this bizarre little article about super-filtered Milk and how the dairy folks want it to be used in cheese. You can ship more for buck--and so on. And I'm fine with this. Hey, if folks want to use it and it tastes fine (there is some arguement about that AND nutritional values), then there's no problem. My problem began when I read that the Cheese Institute (can there REALLY be such a place?) doesn't want to put ultra-filtered milk on packages of cheese USING ultra-filtered milk and are kicking up a storm with the FDA about it. Here's the quote:

"Mindful that consumers might not take to cheese with ultra-filtered milk listed as a major ingredient, the Cheese Institute is fighting the FDA over labeling requirements.

The Cheese Institute is "concerned about proposed language that requires manufacturers that use ultra-filtered milk to declare this ingredient as ultra-filtered milk on the ingredients statement of the finished product, rather than simply listing milk," said Clay Hough, senior vice president and general counsel for the International Dairy Foods Assn., which includes the cheese trade group. Hough said that such a requirement would confuse consumers and reduce the flexibility of manufacturers to use varying quantities of fluid milk and ultra-filtered milk by each batch of cheese produced.

"Complying with this labeling requirement would be very problematic," Hough said."


Now this may be a bug in my bonnet but, if the Cheese Institute wants to USE ultra-filtered milk (and I'm fine with that) then I want to KNOW it's in my cheese! I want to know what's in my food in general!!

And, of course, now I wonder how many other companies have dug their heels in and held their breath until the FDA gave in and let 'em have their way? Come on! The FDA is under-funded and yet, is required to protect the public from harmful drugs, harmful foods, and oversee the companies that make the food and drugs...yikes! That's a lot to do and not enough moola to do it with. I wouldn't be surprised if they've been pushed to give in on other foods before.

Anyways, check out the article at www.latimes.com (I know it isn't linked yet but, I'll do it as soon as I figure out how...oh stop it! I'm a total gimp at this stuff! Cut and paste it for crying out loud!) You can also visit the Food & Drug Admin at www.fda.gov

Toodles

2 comments:

Dave said...

Mmmm. Milk.

A-T-G said...

...with cookies...yummmm....